Sunday, January 11, 2009

Last Night A DJ Saved My Life

Mmmm... Remember that song? The muscular disco groove. The keyboard/guitar interplay that was so tight, so sensual, you felt a subtle stirring right there. If you've ever experienced that song in the middle of a crowded dancefloor, you know that it was (and continues to be) five minutes of pure heaven.

But there's more to the Indeep classic than physical catharsis. There are words that playfully wax on about the unique emotional rescue that can only be found tucked within a musical arrangement.

My life has been saved by the consolation, the lessons, and, perhaps most important of all, the companionship that music offers. I discovered all of this and so much more about power of music at the tender, if precocious age of six. Nearly 40 years later, my taste in music has not changed one bit since then. I still respond first and foremost to a simple, infectious melody, a chorus that I can sing along with, and lyrics that unfold like direct, one-on-one conversation. I'm drawn to popular music of many niche subsections, but if I cannot connect on a primal, visceral, and sometimes just plain ol' juvenile level, I'm out.

That obviously eliminates as vast a range of music as it includes. I wish I was capable of happily consuming the more "intellectual" fare that my colleagues in the music industry elite regularly herald. But, then again, I don't. I'd wallow in irreversible despair if music became something other than an entity that hit me in the gut.

Music has, indeed, saved my life, and it continues to each and everyday. This space is devoted in large part to the creations and creators who provide the ultimate lifeline to sanity... a song.

1 comment:

  1. Very well said, it is amazing how music can do so much, or so little all at once. Any emotion, or any mood, has a musical uqual. It is an amazing mystery why, or how music can forge such connections with people and their spirit, or with cultures and social circles. It is no wonder why music, and there for a DJ really can save your life.

    ReplyDelete